Definitions of about:
- adverb: in the area or vicinity
Example: "A few spectators standing about"
- adverb: all around or on all sides
Example: "Dirty clothes lying around (or about)"
- adverb: in or to a reversed position or direction
Example: "About face"
- adverb: to or among many different places or in no particular direction
Example: "Wandering about with no place to go"
- adverb: (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost'
Example: "The job is (just) about done"
- adverb: in rotation or succession
Example: "Turn about is fair play"
- adverb: (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct
Example: "In just about a minute"
Search for about at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse