Definitions of absorb:
- verb: take up, as of debts or payments
Example: "Absorb the costs for something"
- verb: suck or take up or in
Example: "A black star absorbs all matter"
- verb: cause to become one with
Example: "The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax"
- verb: engage or engross wholly
Example: "Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely"
- verb: take up mentally
Example: "He absorbed the knowledge or beliefs of his tribe"
- verb: assimilate or take in
Example: "The immigrants were quickly absorbed into society"
- verb: take in, also metaphorically
Example: "The sponge absorbs water well"
- verb: become imbued
Example: "The liquids, light, and gases absorb"
- verb: engross (oneself) fully
Search for absorb at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse