Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of air:
- noun: a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing
Example: "An air of mystery"
- noun: medium for radio and television broadcasting
Example: "The program was on the air from 9 til midnight"
- noun: the region above the ground
Example: "Her hand stopped in mid air"
- noun: a mixture of gases (especially oxygen) required for breathing; the stuff that the wind consists of
Example: "Air pollution"
- noun: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
- noun: the mass of air surrounding the Earth
Example: "It was exposed to the air"
- noun: travel via aircraft
Example: "Air travel involves too much waiting in airports"
- noun: a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence
Example: "She was humming an air from Beethoven"
- noun: a slight wind (usually refreshing)
Example: "As he waited he could feel the air on his neck"
- verb: expose to warm or heated air, so as to dry
Example: "Air linen"
- verb: broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television
Example: "We cannot air this X-rated song"
- verb: be broadcast
Example: "This show will air Saturdays at 2 P.M."
- verb: expose to fresh air
- verb: make public
Example: "She aired her opinions on welfare"
- verb: expose to cool or cold air so as to cool or freshen
Example: "Air the old winter clothes"
Search for air at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse