Definitions of application:
- noun: a diligent effort
Example: "It is a job requiring serious application"
- noun: the work of applying something
Example: "The doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine"
- noun: the act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose
Example: "He advocated the application of statistics to the problem"
- noun: a verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school
Example: "December 31 is the deadline for applications"
- noun: a program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task
Example: "He has tried several different word processing applications"
- noun: liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin
Search for application at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia