Definitions of average:
- noun: a statistic describing the location of a distribution
- verb: achieve or reach on average
Example: "He averaged a C"
- verb: amount to or come to an average, without loss or gain
Example: "The number of hours I work per work averages out to 40"
- verb: compute the average of
- adjective: around the middle of a scale of evaluation of physical measures
Example: "An orange of average size"
- adjective: approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value
Example: "The average income in New England is below that of the nation"
- adjective: of no exceptional quality or ability
Example: "A novel of average merit"
- adjective: lacking special distinction, rank, or status; commonly encountered
Example: "Average people"
- adjective: relating to or constituting the middle value of an ordered set of values (or the average of the middle two in an even-numbered set)
- adjective: relating to or constituting the most frequent value in a distribution
Search for average at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...