Definitions of awful:
- adjective: causing fear or dread or terror
Example: "The awful war"
- adjective: offensive or even (of persons) malicious
- adjective: inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence
Example: "Awful worshippers with bowed heads"
- adjective: exceptionally bad or displeasing
Example: "An awful voice"
- adjective: inspiring awe or admiration or wonder
Example: "This sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath- Melville"
- adverb: used as intensifiers
Example: "I'm awful sorry"
Search for awful at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse