Definitions of backfire:
- noun: a miscalculation that recoils on its maker
- noun: a loud noise made by the explosion of fuel in the manifold or exhaust of an internal combustion engine
- verb: emit a loud noise as a result of undergoing a backfire
Example: "My old car backfires all the time"
- verb: have an unexpected and undesired effect
Example: "Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
- verb: set a controlled fire to halt an advancing forest to prairie fire
Search for backfire at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse