Definitions of bail:
- noun: the legal system that allows an accused person to be temporarily released from custody (usually on condition that a sum of money guarantees their appearance at trial)
Example: "He is out on bail"
- noun: (criminal law) money that must be forfeited by the bondsman if an accused person fails to appear in court for trial
Example: "The judge set bail at $10,000"
- verb: deliver something in trust to somebody for a special purpose and for a limited period
- verb: release after a security has been paid
- verb: secure the release of (someone) by providing security
- verb: remove (water) from a vessel with a container
- verb: empty (a vessel) by bailing
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #18819)
Search for bail at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...