Definitions of better:
- noun: the superior one of two alternatives
Example: "Chose the better of the two"
- noun: one having claim to precedence; a superior
Example: "The common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
- noun: someone who bets
- verb: surpass in excellence
Example: "She bettered her own record"
- verb: get better
- verb: to make better
- adjective: more than half
Example: "Argued for the better part of an hour"
- adjective: (comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability; more highly skilled than another
Example: "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"
- adjective: (comparative of `good') changed for the better in health or fitness
Example: "Her health is better now"
- adverb: comparative of `well'; in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.
Example: "She had never sung better"
- adverb: from a position of superiority or authority
Example: "I know better."
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #58473)
Search for better at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse