Definitions of bite:
- noun: a portion removed from the whole
Example: "The government's weekly bite from my paycheck"
- noun: the act of gripping or chewing off with the teeth and jaws
- noun: (angling) an instance of a fish taking the bait
Example: "After fishing for an hour he still had not had a bite"
- noun: a light informal meal
- noun: a wound resulting from biting by an animal or a person
- noun: a strong odor or taste property
Example: "The sulfurous bite of garlic"
- noun: wit having a sharp and caustic quality
Example: "The bite of satire"
- noun: a painful wound caused by the thrust of an insect's stinger into skin
- noun: a small amount of solid food; a mouthful
- verb: cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
- verb: penetrate or cut, as with a knife
- verb: to grip, cut off, or tear with or as if with the teeth or jaws
Example: "Gunny invariably tried to bite her"
- verb: deliver a sting to
Search for bite at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse