Definitions of brake:
- noun: a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
- noun: an area thickly overgrown usually with one kind of plant
- noun: any of various ferns of the genus Pteris having pinnately compound leaves and including several popular houseplants
- noun: large coarse fern often several feet high; essentially weed ferns; cosmopolitan
- verb: cause to stop by applying the brakes
Example: "Brake the car before you go into a curve"
- verb: stop travelling by applying a brake
Example: "We had to brake suddenly when a chicken crossed the road"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #5756)
Search for brake at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse