Lyrics and poems
Definitions of burn:
- noun: damage inflicted by burning
- noun: a burned place or area
- noun: an injury cause by exposure to heat or chemicals or radiation
- noun: pain that feels hot as if it were on fire
- noun: a browning of the skin resulting from exposure to the rays of the sun
- verb: feel hot or painful
Example: "My eyes are burning"
- verb: spend (significant amounts of money)
Example: "He has money to burn"
- verb: burn at the stake
Example: "Witches were burned in Salem"
- verb: cause to burn or combust
Example: "The sun burned off the fog"
- verb: shine intensely, as if with heat
Example: "The candles were burning"
- verb: undergo combustion
Example: "Maple wood burns well"
- verb: cause to undergo combustion
Example: "Burn garbage"
- verb: destroy by fire
Example: "They burned the house and his diaries"
- verb: feel strong emotion, especially anger or passion
Example: "She was burning with anger"
- verb: burn with heat, fire, or radiation
Example: "The iron burnt a hole in my dress"
- verb: get a sunburn by overexposure to the sun
- verb: use up (energy)
Example: "Burn off calories through vigorous exercise"
- verb: create by duplicating data
Example: "Burn a CD"
- verb: cause a sharp or stinging pain or discomfort
Example: "The sun burned his face"
- verb: burn, sear, or freeze (tissue) using a hot iron or electric current or a caustic agent
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #30675)
Search for burn at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Descriptive words for burn (New!)
Copyright © 2015 Datamuse