Definitions of cardinal:
- noun: crested thick-billed North American finch having bright red plumage in the male
- noun: a variable color averaging a vivid red
- noun: (Roman Catholic Church) one of a group of more than 100 prominent bishops in the Sacred College who advise the Pope and elect new Popes
- noun: the number of elements in a mathematical set; denotes a quantity but not the order
- adjective: serving as an essential component
Example: "A cardinal rule"
- adjective: being or denoting a numerical quantity but not order
Example: "Cardinal numbers"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #7622)
Search for cardinal at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse