Definitions of carry:
- noun: the act of carrying something
- verb: continue or extend
- verb: capture after a fight
- verb: have on the surface or on the skin
Example: "Carry scars"
- verb: take further or advance
Example: "Carry a cause"
- verb: compensate for a weaker partner or member by one's own performance
Example: "I resent having to carry her all the time"
- verb: extend to a certain degree
Example: "Carry too far"
- verb: win approval or support for
Example: "Carry all before one"
- verb: be necessarily associated with or result in or involve
- verb: have or possess something abstract
Example: "I carry her image in my mind's eye"
- verb: keep up with financial support
- verb: have with oneself; have on one's person
Example: "I always carry money"
- verb: be conveyed over a certain distance
- verb: have as an inherent or characteristic feature or have as a consequence
Example: "These bonds carry warrants"
- verb: include, as on a list
- verb: sing or play against other voices or parts
Example: "He cannot carry a tune"
- verb: serve as a means for expressing something
- verb: pass on a communication
- verb: be successful in
- verb: win in an election
- verb: secure the passage or adoption (of bills and motions)
- verb: cover a certain distance or advance beyond
- verb: have a certain range
- verb: be able to feed
Example: "This land will carry ten cows to the acre"
- verb: drink alcohol without showing ill effects
Example: "He had drunk more than he could carry"
- verb: bear or be able to bear the weight, pressure,or responsibility of
Example: "How many credits is this student carrying?"
- verb: propel or give impetus to
- verb: bear (a crop)
Example: "This land does not carry olives"
- verb: include as the content; broadcast or publicize
- verb: pursue a line of scent or be a bearer
Example: "The dog was taught to fetch and carry"
- verb: transfer (a number, cipher, or remainder) to the next column or unit's place before or after, in addition or multiplication
Example: "Put down 5 and carry 2"
- verb: transfer (entries) from one account book to another
- verb: have on hand
Example: "Do you carry kerosene heaters?"
- verb: propel, "Carry the ball"
- verb: move while supporting, either in a vehicle or in one's hands or on one's body
Example: "You must carry your camping gear"
- verb: support or hold in a certain manner
- verb: contain or hold; have within
- verb: be pregnant with
Example: "I am carrying his child"
- verb: transmit or serve as the medium for transmission
Example: "The airwaves carry the sound"
- verb: behave in a certain manner
- name: A female given name (rare: 1 in 100000 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #3393)
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #30642)
Search for carry at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse