Definitions of chance:
- noun: a risk involving danger
Example: "You take a chance when you let her drive"
- noun: a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur
Example: "We have a good chance of winning"
- noun: a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
Example: "Now is your chance"
- noun: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
Example: "We ran into each other by pure chance"
- verb: be the case by chance
Example: "I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
- verb: take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
- verb: come upon, as if by accident; meet with
Example: "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 14285 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #842)
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2290)
Search for chance at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse