Definitions of civil:
- adjective: applying to ordinary citizens
Example: "Civil law"
- adjective: of or relating to or befitting citizens as individuals
Example: "Civil rights"
- adjective: of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state
Example: "Civil affairs"
- adjective: of or in a condition of social order
Example: "Civil peoples"
- adjective: not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others
Example: "Even if he didn't like them he should have been civil- W.S. Maugham"
- adjective: (of divisions of time) legally recognized in ordinary affairs of life
Example: "The civil calendar"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #74117)
Search for civil at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse