Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of clap:
- noun: a sudden very loud noise
- noun: a sharp abrupt noise as if two objects hit together; may be repeated
- noun: a common venereal disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae; symptoms are painful urination and pain around the urethra
- verb: strike the air in flight
Example: "The wings of the birds clapped loudly"
- verb: cause to strike the air in flight
Example: "The big bird clapped its wings"
- verb: clap one's hands together
Example: "The children were clapping to the music"
- verb: strike together so as to produce a sharp percussive noise
Example: "Clap two boards together"
- verb: strike with the flat of the hand; usually in a friendly way, as in encouragement or greeting
- verb: put quickly or forcibly
Example: "The judge clapped him in jail"
- verb: clap one's hands or shout after performances to indicate approval
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #86677)
Search for clap at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...