Definitions of coil:
- noun: a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops
Example: "A coil of rope"
- noun: reactor consisting of a spiral of insulated wire that introduces inductance into a circuit
- noun: tubing that is wound in a spiral
- noun: a contraceptive device placed inside a woman's womb
- noun: a transformer that supplies high voltage to spark plugs in a gasoline engine
- noun: a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles
- verb: wind around something in coils or loops
- verb: to wind or move in a spiral course
Example: "The muscles and nerves of his fine drawn body were coiling for action"
- verb: make without a potter's wheel
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #9353)
Search for coil at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse