Definitions of company:
- noun: an institution created to conduct business
Example: "He started the company in his garage"
- noun: a unit of firefighters including their equipment
Example: "A hook-and-ladder company"
- noun: a social gathering of guests or companions
Example: "The house was filled with company when I arrived"
- noun: organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical)
Example: "The traveling company all stayed at the same hotel"
- noun: small military unit; usually two or three platoons
- noun: the state of being with someone
Example: "He missed their company"
- noun: crew of a ship including the officers; the whole force or personnel of a ship
- noun: a band of people associated temporarily in some activity
Example: "The company of cooks walked into the kitchen"
- noun: a social or business visitor
Example: "The room was a mess because he hadn't expected company"
- verb: be a companion to somebody
Search for company at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse