Definitions of conflict:
- noun: an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
Example: "The harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph--Thomas Paine"
- noun: an incompatibility of dates or events
Example: "He noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings"
- noun: opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings
Example: "He was immobilized by conflict and indecision"
- noun: opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot)
Example: "This form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing"
- noun: a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests
Example: "His conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post"
- noun: a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
- noun: a disagreement or argument about something important
Example: "The familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
- verb: go against, as of rules and laws
Example: "This behavior conflicts with our rules"
- verb: be in conflict
Example: "The two proposals conflict!"
Search for conflict at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia