Definitions of contrast:
- noun: the act of distinguishing by comparing differences
- noun: the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print (or the extent to which adjacent areas on a television screen differ in brightness)
- noun: the perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of very different colors
- noun: the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared
Example: "In contrast to, by contrast"
- noun: a conceptual separation or demarcation
- verb: to show differences when compared; be different
Example: "The students contrast considerably in their artistic abilities"
- verb: put in opposition to show or emphasize differences
Example: "The middle school teacher contrasted her best student's work with that of her weakest student"
Search for contrast at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse