Definitions of defense:
- noun: protection from harm
Example: "Sanitation is the best defense against disease"
- noun: military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies
Example: "They died in the defense of Stalingrad"
- noun: a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him
Example: "He gave evidence for the defense"
- noun: the justification for some act or belief
Example: "He offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
- noun: an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack
Example: "He joined the defense against invasion"
- noun: the defendant and his legal advisors collectively
Example: "The defense called for a mistrial"
- noun: (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring
Example: "His teams are always good on defense"
- noun: a structure used for defense
Example: "The artillery battered down the defenses"
- noun: the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions
Example: "In defense he said the other man started it"
- noun: the federal department responsible for safeguarding national security of the UnitedStates; created in 1947
- noun: (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
Search for defense at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia