Definitions of demand:
- noun: the act of demanding
Example: "The kidnapper's exorbitant demands for money"
- noun: an urgent or peremptory request
Example: "His demands for attention were unceasing"
- noun: the ability and desire to purchase goods and services
Example: "The automobile reduced the demand for buggywhips"
- noun: required activity
Example: "There were many demands on his time"
- noun: a condition requiring relief
Example: "There is a demand for jobs"
- verb: request urgently and forcefully
Example: "The victim's family is demanding compensation"
- verb: claim as due or just
Example: "The bank demanded payment of the loan"
- verb: ask to be informed of
Example: "I demand an explanation"
- verb: summon to court
- verb: lay legal claim to
- verb: require as useful, just, or proper
Example: "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"
Search for demand at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse