Definitions of design:
- noun: the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan)
Example: "He contributed to the design of a new instrument"
- noun: a decorative or artistic work
Example: "The coach had a design on the doors"
- noun: a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something
Example: "The design of a building"
- noun: an arrangement scheme
Example: "The awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"
- noun: something intended as a guide for making something else
- noun: the creation of something in the mind
- noun: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
Example: "He made no secret of his designs"
- verb: intend or have as a purpose
Example: "She designed to go far in the world of business"
- verb: design something for a specific role or purpose or effect
Example: "This room is not designed for work"
- verb: conceive or fashion in the mind; invent
Example: "She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day"
- verb: make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form
Example: "Design a better mousetrap"
- verb: create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner
Example: "Chanel designed the famous suit"
- verb: create designs
Example: "Dupont designs for the house of Chanel"
- verb: make or work out a plan for; devise
Example: "Design a new sales strategy"
Search for design at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse