Definitions of distress:
- noun: the seizure and holding of property as security for payment of a debt or satisfaction of a claim
Example: "Originally distress was a landloard's remedy against a tenant for unpaid rents or property damage but now the landlord is given a landlord's lien"
- noun: psychological suffering
Example: "The death of his wife caused him great distress"
- noun: extreme physical pain
Example: "The patient appeared to be in distress"
- noun: a state of adversity (danger or affliction or need)
Example: "A ship in distress"
- verb: cause mental pain to
Example: "The news of her child's illness distressed the mother"
Search for distress at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse