Definitions of effective:
- adjective: equipped and ready for service
Example: "The fort was held by about 100 effective soldiers"
- adjective: existing in fact; not theoretical; real
Example: "A decline in the effective demand"
- adjective: able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively
Example: "People who will do nothing unless they get something out of it for themselves are often highly effective persons...-G.B.Shaw"
- adjective: exerting force or influence
Example: "The law is effective immediately"
- adjective: producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect
Example: "An air-cooled motor was more effective than a witch's broomstick for rapid long-distance transportation-LewisMumford"
- adjective: works well as a means or remedy
Example: "An effective reprimand"
Search for effective at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse