Definitions of excuse:
- noun: a note explaining an absence
Example: "He had to get his mother to write an excuse for him"
- noun: a defense of some offensive behavior or some failure to keep a promise etc.
Example: "He kept finding excuses to stay"
- noun: a poor example
Example: "A poor excuse for an automobile"
- verb: excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with
Example: "Excuse someone's behavior"
- verb: serve as a reason or cause or justification of
Example: "Your need to sleep late does not excuse your late arrival at work"
- verb: grant exemption or release to
Example: "Please excuse me from this class"
- verb: ask for permission to be released from an engagement
- verb: accept an excuse for
Example: "Please excuse my dirty hands"
- verb: defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning
Search for excuse at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse