Definitions of factor:
- noun: an independent variable in statistics
- noun: anything that contributes causally to a result
Example: "A number of factors determined the outcome"
- noun: any of the numbers (or symbols) that form a product when multiplied together
- noun: a businessman who buys or sells for another in exchange for a commission
- noun: one of two or more integers that can be exactly divided into another integer
Example: "What are the 4 factors of 6?"
- noun: (genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity
Example: "Genes were formerly called factors"
- noun: an abstract part of something
Example: "A key factor in her success"
- verb: resolve into factors
Example: "A quantum computer can factor the number 15"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #18721)
Search for factor at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse