Definitions of file:
- noun: a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces; used for smoothing wood or metal
- noun: office furniture consisting of a container for keeping papers in order
- noun: a set of related records (either written or electronic) kept together
- noun: a line of persons or things ranged one behind the other
- verb: place in a container for keeping records
Example: "File these bills, please"
- verb: record in a public office or in a court of law
Example: "File for divorce"
- verb: smooth with a file
Example: "File one's fingernails"
- verb: proceed in line
Example: "The students filed into the classroom"
- verb: file a formal charge against
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19703)
Search for file at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse