Definitions of flying:
- noun: an instance of traveling by air
Example: "Flying was still an exciting adventure for him"
- adjective: done swiftly in or as if in the air; used e.g. of a racing start in which runners are already in motion as they cross the starting line
Example: "A flying start"
- adjective: hurried and brief
Example: "Paid a flying visit"
- adjective: of or relating to passage through the air especially aviation
Example: "A flying time of three hours between cities"
- adjective: designed for swift movement or action
Example: "A flying police squad is trained for quick action anywhere in the city"
- adjective: capable of or engaged in flight
Example: "The bat is a flying animal"
- adjective: moving swiftly
Example: "Fast-flying planes"
- adjective: streaming or flapping or spreading wide as if in a current of air
Example: "Flying banners"
Search for flying at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse