Definitions of foil:
- noun: a light slender flexible sword tipped by a button
- noun: a piece of thin and flexible sheet metal
Example: "The photographic film was wrapped in foil"
- noun: picture consisting of a positive photograph or drawing on a transparent base; viewed with a projector
- noun: anything that serves by contrast to call attention to another thing's good qualities
Example: "Pretty girls like plain friends as foils"
- noun: a device consisting of a flat or curved piece (as a metal plate) so that its surface reacts to the water it is passing through
Example: "The fins of a fish act as hydrofoils"
- verb: enhance by contrast
Example: "In this picture, the figures are foiled against the background"
- verb: cover or back with foil
Example: "Foil mirrors"
- verb: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
Example: "Foil your opponent"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #26595)
Search for foil at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse