Definitions of Foster:
- noun: United States songwriter whose songs embody the sentiment of the South before the American Civil War (1826-1864)
- verb: bring up under fosterage; of children
- verb: promote the growth of
Example: "Foster our children's well-being and education"
- verb: help develop, help grow
- adjective: providing or receiving nurture or parental care though not related by blood or legal ties
Example: "Foster parent"
- name: A surname (very common: 1 in 1098 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #93)
- name: A male given name (rare: 1 in 16666 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #923)
Search for Foster at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse