Try out Spruce, our experimental quotations search engine.
Definitions of freeze:
- noun: fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
Example: "A freeze on hiring"
- noun: an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
Example: "A nuclear freeze"
- noun: weather cold enough to cause freezing
- noun: the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
- verb: anesthetize by cold
- verb: prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
Example: "Freeze the assets of this hostile government"
- verb: be very cold, below the freezing point
- verb: stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
- verb: change to ice
- verb: cause to freeze
Example: "Freeze the leftover food"
- verb: change from a liquid to a solid when cold
Example: "Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit"
- verb: be cold
Example: "I could freeze to death in this office when the air conditioning is turned on"
- verb: suddenly behave coldly and formally
- verb: stop moving or become immobilized
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #8141)
Search for freeze at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse