Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of gloss:
- noun: an explanation or definition of an obscure word in a text
- noun: an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading
Example: "He tried to give his falsehood the gloss of moral sanction"
- noun: the property of being smooth and shiny
- noun: an alphabetical list of technical terms in some specialized field of knowledge; usually published as an appendix to a text on that field
- verb: provide an interlinear translation of a word or phrase
- verb: provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases
- verb: give a shine or gloss to, usually by rubbing
- verb: gloss or excuse
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #16926)
Search for gloss at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...