Definitions of grate:
- noun: a frame of iron bars to hold a fire
- noun: a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air
- noun: a harsh rasping sound made by scraping something
- verb: furnish with a grate
Example: "A grated fireplace"
- verb: make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together
Example: "Grate one's teeth in anger"
- verb: reduce to small shreds or pulverize by rubbing against a rough or sharp perforated surface
Example: "Grate carrots and onions"
- verb: scratch repeatedly
- verb: gnaw into; make resentful or angry
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 100000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #12830)
Search for grate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse