Definitions of grave:
- noun: a place for the burial of a corpse (especially beneath the ground and marked by a tombstone)
Example: "He put flowers on his mother's grave"
- noun: death of a person
Example: "He went to his grave without forgiving me"
- noun: a mark (`) placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
- verb: carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface
Example: "Engrave a pen"
- verb: shape (a material like stone or wood) by whittling away at it
- adjective: of great gravity or crucial import; requiring serious thought
Example: "Grave responsibilities"
- adjective: dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises
Example: "A grave God-fearing man"
- adjective: causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm
Example: "A grave situation"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #21558)
Search for grave at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse