Definitions of hammer:
- noun: the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows)
Example: "The sudden hammer of fists caught him off guard"
- noun: a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle; used to deliver an impulsive force by striking
- noun: a power tool for drilling rocks
- noun: a striker that is covered in felt and that causes the piano strings to vibrate
- noun: the part of a gunlock that strikes the percussion cap when the trigger is pulled
- noun: a heavy metal sphere attached to a flexible wire; used in the hammer throw
- noun: an athletic competition in which a heavy metal ball that is attached to a flexible wire is hurled as far as possible
- noun: the ossicle attached to the eardrum
- verb: beat with or as if with a hammer
Example: "Hammer the metal flat"
- verb: create by hammering
Example: "Hammer the silver into a bowl"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 14285 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1831)
Search for hammer at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse