Lyrics and poems
Synonyms / Related
Definitions of hook:
- noun: a short swinging punch delivered from the side with the elbow bent
- noun: a golf shot that curves to the left for a right-handed golfer
Example: "He tooks lessons to cure his hooking"
- noun: a curved or bent implement for suspending or pulling something
- noun: a mechanical device that is curved or bent to suspend or hold or pull something
- noun: a catch for locking a door
- noun: a sharp curve or crook; a shape resembling a hook
- noun: a basketball shot made over the head with the hand that is farther from the basket
- noun: anything that serves as an enticement
- verb: take by theft
- verb: approach with an offer of sexual favors
- verb: entice and trap
- verb: secure with the foot
Example: "Hook the ball"
- verb: fasten with a hook
- verb: catch with a hook
Example: "Hook a fish"
- verb: hit with a hook
Example: "His opponent hooked him badly"
- verb: hit a ball and put a spin on it so that it travels to the left
- verb: to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug)
- verb: make a piece of needlework by interlocking and looping thread with a hooked needle
- verb: make off with belongings of others
- verb: rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 20000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #2285)
Search for hook at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
(New!) Usage examples...
Copyright © 2019 Datamuse