Definitions of hunt:
- noun: the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport
- noun: the work of finding and killing or capturing animals for food or pelts
- noun: an instance of searching for something
Example: "The hunt for submarines"
- noun: an association of huntsmen who hunt for sport
- noun: British writer who defended the romanticism of Keats and Shelley (1784-1859)
- noun: United States architect (1827-1895)
- noun: Englishman and Pre-Raphaelite painter (1827-1910)
- noun: the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- verb: chase away, with as with force
Example: "They hunted the the unwanted immigrants out of the neighborhood"
- verb: pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals)
Example: "Goering often hunted wild boars in Poland"
- verb: search (an area) for prey
Example: "The King used to hunt these forests"
- verb: seek, search for
Example: "She hunted for her reading glasses but was unable to locate them"
- verb: oscillate about a desired speed, position, or state to an undesirable extent
Example: "The oscillator hunts about the correct frequency"
- verb: yaw back and forth about a flight path
- verb: pursue or chase relentlessly
Example: "The hunters traced the deer into the woods"
- name: A surname (common: 1 in 1587 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #148)
Search for hunt at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse