Definitions of idle:
- verb: be idle; exist in a changeless situation
- verb: run disconnected or idle
- adjective: lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility
Example: "Idle talk"
- adjective: silly or trivial
Example: "Idle pleasure"
- adjective: not in active use
Example: "The machinery sat idle during the strike"
- adjective: not in action or at work
Example: "An idle laborer"
- adjective: not having a job
Example: "Idle carpenters"
- adjective: not yielding a return
Example: "Idle funds"
- adjective: without a basis in reason or fact
Example: "Idle fears"
Search for idle at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse