Definitions of independent:
- noun: a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
- noun: a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
- adjective: not dependent on or conditioned by or relative to anything else
- adjective: not contingent
- adjective: free from external control and constraint
Example: "An independent mind"
- adjective: of a clause; able to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence
Example: "The main (or independent) clause in a complex sentence has at least a subject and a verb"
- adjective: not controlled by a party or interest group
- adjective: of political bodies
Search for independent at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse