Definitions of induction:
- noun: the act of bringing about something (especially at an early time)
Example: "The induction of an anesthetic state"
- noun: an electrical phenomenon whereby an electromotive force (EMF) is generated in a closed circuit by a change in the flow of current
- noun: the process whereby changes in the current flow in a circuit produce magnetism or an EMF
- noun: an act that sets in motion some course of events
- noun: (physics) a property of an electric circuit by which an electromotive force is induced in it by a variation of current
- noun: stimulation that calls up (draws forth) a particular class of behaviors
- noun: a formal entry into an organization or position or office
Example: "He was ordered to report for induction into the army"
- noun: reasoning from detailed facts to general principles
Search for induction at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse