Definitions of just:
- adjective: used especially of what is legally or ethically right or proper or fitting
Example: "A just and lasting peace- A.Lincoln"
- adjective: of moral excellence
Example: "A just cause"
- adjective: free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception; or conforming with established standards or rules
- adjective: implying justice dictated by reason, conscience, and a natural sense of what is fair to all
- adverb: only a moment ago
Example: "He has just arrived"
- adverb: absolutely
Example: "I just can't take it anymore"
- adverb: by a small margin
Example: "Just missed being hit"
- adverb: and nothing more
Example: "Just a scratch"
- adverb: indicating exactness or preciseness
Example: "It was just as he said--the jewel was gone"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #7401)
Search for just at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse