Definitions of knot:
- noun: a sandpiper that breeds in the arctic and winters in the southern hemisphere
- noun: any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself or to another rope or to another object
- noun: a tight cluster of people or things
Example: "A small knot of women listened to his sermon"
- noun: something twisted and tight and swollen
Example: "Their muscles stood out in knots"
- noun: a hard cross-grained round piece of wood in a board where a branch emerged
Example: "The saw buckled when it hit a knot"
- noun: soft lump or unevenness in a yarn; either an imperfection or created by design
- noun: a unit of length used in navigation; equivalent to the distance spanned by one minute of arc in latitude; 1,852 meters
- verb: tie or fasten into a knot
Example: "Knot the shoelaces"
- verb: make into knots; make knots out of
Example: "She knotted der fingers"
- verb: tangle or complicate
Search for knot at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse