Definitions of mandate:
- noun: the commission that is given to a government and its policies through an electoral victory
- noun: a document giving an official instruction or command
- noun: a territory surrendered by Turkey or Germany after World War I and put under the tutelage of some other European power until they ar able to stand by themselves
- verb: assign under a mandate
Example: "Mandate a colony"
- verb: assign authority to
- verb: make mandatory
Example: "The new director of the schoolbaord mandated regular tests"
Search for mandate at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia