Definitions of mantle:
- noun: (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
- noun: the cloak as a symbol of authority
Example: "Place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders"
- noun: the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
- noun: United States baseball player (1931-1997)
- noun: a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
- noun: anything that covers
- noun: shelf that projects from wall above fireplace
- noun: hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
- verb: spread over a surface, like a mantle
- verb: cover like a mantle
Example: "The ivy mantles the building"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #19562)
Search for mantle at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse