Definitions of measure:
- noun: how much there is of something that you can quantify
- noun: any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal
Example: "The situation called for strong measures"
- noun: musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats
- noun: measuring instrument having a sequence of marks at regular intervals; used as a reference in making measurements
- noun: a statute in draft before it becomes law
- noun: the act or process of measuring
Example: "The measurements were carefully done"
- noun: (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- noun: a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated
Example: "They set the measure for all subsequent work"
- verb: have certain dimensions
Example: "This table surfaces measures 20inches by 36 inches"
- verb: determine the measurements of something or somebody, take measurements of
Example: "Measure the length of the wall"
- verb: place a value on; judge the worth of something
- verb: express as a number or measure or quantity
Search for measure at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse