Definitions of nail:
- noun: a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
- noun: horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- noun: a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
- verb: attach something somewhere by means of nails
Example: "Nail the board onto the wall"
- verb: locate exactly
Example: "The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
- verb: succeed in obtaining a position
Example: "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
- verb: complete a pass
- verb: take into custody
- verb: hit hard
- verb: succeed at easily
Example: "She nailed her astrophysics course"
- name: A surname (rare: 1 in 50000 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #4772)
Search for nail at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse