Definitions of opposite:
- noun: something inverted in sequence or character or effect
- noun: two words that express opposing concepts
Example: "To him the opposite of gay was depressed"
- noun: a contestant that you are matched against
- noun: a relation of direct opposition
- adjective: of leaves etc; growing in pairs on either side of a stem
Example: "Opposite leaves"
- adjective: altogether different in nature or quality or significance
Example: "The medicine's effect was opposite to that intended"
- adjective: the other one of a complementary pair
Example: "The opposite sex"
- adjective: being directly across from each other; facing
Example: "And I on the opposite shore will be, ready to ride and spread the alarm- Longfellow"
- adjective: moving or facing away from each other
Example: "Looking in opposite directions"
- adjective: characterized by opposite extremes; completely opposed
Example: "Diametrical (or opposite) points of view"
- adverb: directly facing each other
Example: "They sat opposite at the table"
Search for opposite at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse