Definitions of pat:
- noun: the sound made by a gentle blow
- noun: a light touch or stroke
- verb: hit lightly
Example: "Pat him on the shoulder"
- verb: pat or squeeze fondly or playfully, especially under the chin
- adjective: exactly suited to the occasion
Example: "A pat reply"
- adjective: having only superficial plausibility
- adverb: completely or perfectly
Example: "He has the lesson pat"
- name: A female given name (common: 1 in 2500 females; popularity rank in the U.S.: #387)
- name: A male given name (common: 1 in 4545 males; popularity rank in the U.S.: #457)
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #50087)
Search for pat at other dictionaries: OneLook, Answers.com, Merriam-Webster
"Works flawlessly!": RhymeZone apps for iPhone/iPad and Android!
Help, Feedback, Customize, Android app, iPhone/iPad app
Copyright © 2013 Datamuse